Back to the grindstone

Back to the grindstone

All the preparation and worry is over — hurricane Ike sent us a little wind yesterday, but not much else. So, today it’s back to the grindstone — putting all the plants back, along with the patio furniture and “stuff” I put away just in case things would be whipping around.

And then it’s on to pulling WEEDS. Ugh. They have gotten ahead of me and I just can’t squat fast enough to get them back under control. That’s what happens when you go on a long vacation.

Look – look! This is from one of the Sago Palm seeds I harvested from my neighbor’s female plant! I can’t believe it is actually growing! I’ll probably be dead before it’s big enough to put into the landscape, but I’m very excited at this little success. I started by soaking the seeds back in February.

And this is the night bloom from an exotic plant that I got at the Zilker Gardenfest. I can’t remember the name of it — anyone know? It has long leaves that are like tongues – and very flat. Help?

By | 2016-04-14T02:45:09+00:00 September 14th, 2008|Blog, hurricane, Sago, Sharing Nature's Garden|0 Comments

1. Carol September 14, 2008 at 3:58 pm - Reply

Your bloom looks like my night-blooming cereus. Epiphyllum oxypetalum is what I think mine is.

Hopefully you actually saw the bloom the night before!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

2. Diana September 14, 2008 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Carol – yes, of course that’s what it is! I remembered the name as soon as I read your comments. Thanks for jogging my failing/aging memory! I did see the bloom 2 mornings really early when i let the dogs out. It sure doesn’t have much support! I stuck a piece of the plant into a pot with soil and it is growing wonderfully. That was exciting.

3. Gail September 15, 2008 at 6:47 am - Reply

Diana, Night blooming flowers are a treat. I am glad you were spared any damage, but I sure had wished that my Austin buddies would get much needed rain!
    Have a good week,
    Gail

4. Lisa at Greenbow September 15, 2008 at 3:36 pm - Reply

What delights you have in your garden Diana. A night blooming cereus and a palm grown by seed are such treasures. I rarely have luck with seeds.

5. Lee17 September 15, 2008 at 4:29 pm - Reply

How cool is that sago sprout?!? Awesome! I never even thought to try and grow one from seed. Color me impressed ;)I hope yours makes it all the way into the garden.

6. Diana September 15, 2008 at 5:46 pm - Reply

Gail – It amazes me that Mr. McGregor’s Daughter got more from the hurricane than we did!

Lisa – I usually stink at seeds, too, so this is a shock for me!

Lee17 — I’m thrilled, but you’re right – it has yet to make it into the garden!!! I shouldn’t count my chickens!