Not your mother’s mellow yellow!

Not your mother’s mellow yellow!

Like a bolt of lightning, it hit me this week that I really like yellow in my garden. And I have a lot of it.

I’m off tomorrow on a trip for four days of glorious fun with girlfriends and my other passion – scrapbooking! So, here’s a nice, cheery slice of sunshine to share with you before I go.

No more whining about the wildlife or the heat (for the time being!). I’m off to the air-conditioned comfort of the Houston Westin Hotel and Galleria Mall. Did I mention I’d be shopping, too?!

Damianita
Mexican Hat
Viola
Snapdragon
oh – this is native and I can’t remember the name … help Texan bloggers?
Canna
Variegated Ginger
Esperanza
Oh – again, aging brain – these are those little Callia…..
somethings that are so popular….

That’s my show for the day. No deer damage or sightings. Bird baths and water bowls are all full to the brim. Have a great weekend ~ Ciao!

By | 2017-11-29T23:27:54+00:00 June 4th, 2008|Blog, Sharing Nature's Garden, Yellows|0 Comments

1. Lisa at Greenbow June 5, 2008 at 9:27 am - Reply

What fun..a weekend with friends. Shopping. What is that? I haven’t been shopping since I don’t know when. WHINE…

2. Diana June 5, 2008 at 9:43 am - Reply

Lisa – S’ok – I’ve been whining all week about wind and deer and heat. This is my chance to escape from the whining! (Even if it is my own!) I’ll send you some shopping karma!

3. Cindy June 5, 2008 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Diana, sounds like great fun. There’s a Smith & Hawken not far from the Galleria and the restaurant next to it is worth a visit. There are some good nurseries just a few miles from there, too. Need any recommendations, let me know! Shoot, stop by on your way into or out of Houston and I’ll give you a tour of MCOK!

Whatever else you do, have fun!

4. Bonnie June 5, 2008 at 1:05 pm - Reply

So funny, I just took an IDENTICAL shot of my first canna! I love it! And I definitely need to put in some damianita-gorgeous!

Have a great trip.

5. Pam/Digging June 5, 2008 at 5:43 pm - Reply

I love all your yellows. It’s the perfect color to match the intensity of our summers and cheer you up at the same time.

6. Shellmo June 5, 2008 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Yellow flowers are so happy & friendly – nice photos!

7. Aunt Debbi/kurts mom June 5, 2008 at 10:47 pm - Reply

Such pretty yellow blooms. Thanks for sharing.

8. Gail June 7, 2008 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Is the Texas native a primrose…related to the pink Evening primrose?

Have fun!

Gail

9. Lori June 9, 2008 at 1:39 am - Reply

I think that yellow flower might be a Missouri primrose. Some kind of primrose, anyway. Speaking of which, I really need to get some of the pink kind. I want to try blending them in with my lawn in a few spots for some early color next spring. 🙂

10. Bob June 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm - Reply

I think the first unidentified flower is Calyophus. A wonderful, drought hardy native, it grows wild in front of the house here.
    This is the first time I’ve looked at your blog and wont be the last. I thought it was great. Bob At Draco Gardens

11. Diana June 10, 2008 at 4:59 am - Reply

Cindyl – thanks for the tips, but we never left the Hotel/Galleria. We had classes all day and night and, shoot, why would you leave the Galleria?! And thanks for the invite, but I was also with two others in a van packed to the rafters with “stuff” and headed straight home. It was great fun. Nice to be in the AC for 4 days, though I am glad to be back with my garden.

Bonnie – you’ll have to post your canna shot! Same color and everything? How are your deer these days?

Pam – the yellows are perky, aren’t they? Like sunshine on the ground.

Shellmo – thanks – they sure make ME happy!

Aunt Debbi – I’m glad to share them now, with 6 or 7 100 degree days already this month, I don’t know how long this garden will hold up – yikes!

Gail – it does look just like a primrose, just with spikier leaves. (Spikier — is that a word?!)

Thanks for the tip, Lori. I enjoy the pink ones in our side ditches in the neighborhood, but I hear that they are very invasive, so I haven’t planted any here yet. Maybe in the woodsy part!

Bob – I just have the one little plant in my rock path garden – I’d love to see it scattered about in front of the house – sounds lovely. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. Between my trip and the 100 degree heat, I’ve slowed down on gardening and blogging a little cuz it kinda wears you out right now!

12. Anonymous June 10, 2008 at 9:10 pm - Reply

Diana,
    I’m envious of your beautiful, tone on tone Canna. Great photo of it, as well. I wanted to let you know I used your “What flower are you?” link and really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing.
    Robin at Getting Grounded

13. Diana June 10, 2008 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Robin – isn’t that canna something? So perky! So, what kind of flower are you?